Saturday, September 11, 2010

Crossing the bridge

 A pint of Guinness is a beautiful thing. It just keeps giving. Pint number 1.. Just to refresh you and quench your thirst, Pint number 2, usually occurs because of the simple rounds system ( ie i buy us two pints, then you buy us two pints).. When it comes to number 3, it comes to decision time.  Having pint number 3 is like crossing a bridge. , a glorious, heavenly bridge.It's either go home, good luck , I'll see ya later, or crossing the bridge, because what this bridge leads to is more pints, alot of craic, and a slow but steady loss of sobriety. 

Last night after a few pints ( not a few too many...yet) sitting in O'Neil's ( Yes an Oirish bar, yeow) I watched as my new house mate hesitantly stammered when asked if he wanted another drink in this round. He looked At Lawless's empty pint glass, took a glance over at me as I drained the last of my porter into me, and then finally his eyes rested on his own 2 thirds full pint of Strongbow that he had been nursing for the last few minutes. ( He is studying to be a nurse but, I mean, this was just too much). Anyway He had hardly the time to contemplate the answering of this question when a full pint was put down in front of him. As I waited on the next guinness, He said to me he was told that if he ever went out drinking with Irish people, they would drink him under the table. I assured him this was the case, and pointed to the evidence that was still in front of us in the form of empty Guinness Pint glasses. He stared blankly at them and began upping the tempo with his own Pint of Strongbow.  This is going to be trouble, I thought. 

The few Irish words yer man knew ( we had taught him earlier that day) were then regurgitated about a hundred times back to  us over the new few hours. Not really a stickler for the Irish language, I found myself becoming one when I began correcting him on his pronunciation. Unfortunately, I don't know the Irish for " SHUT UP THE FUCK!!!"  Ah jaysus. Surprisingly, in his stumbling, mumbling and blind drunk state, that was all he regurgitated. Ah well, better luck next time.     

1 comment: